Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin


As far as new music goes I am about ten years out of the loop. But with the death of Boris Yeltsin on last week on April 23rd I figured I'd give a quick mention about one of the newer bands I do like, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.

A few months ago I got one of those "people who bought _____ also bought _____" emails from Amazon. In this case they recommended Broom by Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin because I had purchased CDs by the band Ida. Ida's early material fits nicely into the alt-country genre but their newer CDs are often referred to as sadcore and sound exactly like what you might think sadcore would sound like if you didn't know what sadcore was. Sadcore is sometimes also called slowcore. So there you have it.

I have always been a little wary of taking Amazon's advice when they recommend books and music they think I’d like. More often than not they are just recommending other books or CDs from the same writers, bands, or labels. In any event, the only similarity between Ida and SSLYBY turned out to be their label, Polyvinyl Records (hence, probably, Amazon’s recommendation).

So to keep it short: The first thought that came to mind was a lo-fi Weezer, with maybe a little pop-Radiohead. But what do I know. Every song is incredible and memorable and full of hooks. I really like that you can hear stuff going on, as if the songs were recorded in an attic. Or a basement. (I think they were, in an attic, and a basement). Not overly produced but lush and beautiful in an indie lo-fi way. I could go on and on with "they sound like this" or "they sound like that" but I would rather just say give them a listen to. Before they are the next big thing. Because they will be the next big thing. Then you could say "I knew and loved their stuff. Back in the day. And still do."

Track down their Myspace page, or one of the many fan pages like http://www.iamwarmandpowerful.com/

No comments: